Shoes!

Questions on lighting tools, such as meters
adamhabib

Shoes!

Postby adamhabib » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:12 pm

Hope "Tools" is the right place for this post: what kind of shoes do all of you wear on set? I've just come off a string of shoots wearing low top (Saucony) sneakers and after the last one, which was almost all handheld, a few people asked why I was limping!

Anybody have a good tip?

Roger
Site Admin

Re: Shoes!

Postby Roger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:21 pm

Yes, shoes are important and even more so if you are shooting hand held. I have a broken toe from many years ago which gives me problems sometimes, so supportive footwear is crucial. I was lucky to find some Western Farm boots whilst I was in Mississippi some years ago and I have worn the same type ever since. I find that even after a day on the concrete floor of a stage I don't have a problem with my feet. My back is another matter!

Chris Bairstow

Postby Chris Bairstow » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi Roger

After years of running around shooting handheld and getting lots of back pain I started using arch support insoles and within a few hours the back pain had gone!

I've now had some bespoke ones made up and they are very comfortable. I wear Rockport lightweight waterproof boots.

Thanks for all the info on your forum.

Regards

Chris Bairstow

DoP www.chrisbairstow.com

Roger
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:18 am

I'm still running 5 miles + a day. Keep fit, whatever your footwear!

soundtrane

Postby soundtrane » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:11 pm

http://us.mbt.com/

This is a very interesting concept. I got myself a pair of sandals and they really help reducing the fatigue...

-vin

SteveLaramie

Postby SteveLaramie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:06 am

I dont think I would ever wear those on a film set. Whenever I Gaf I wear work boots and can stand for years before my feet get soar if I had to.

ruairiob

Postby ruairiob » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:40 pm

For the last few years I've mostly worn Timberland boots and runners simply because of the comfort. They are really well made and seem to take plenty of abuse. highly recommended work shoes.

Ruairi O'Brien,
Ireland.

Adro Hache Erre

Postby Adro Hache Erre » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:25 pm

Ok, so what about the AC :) ?

I use a pair of Adidas Samba, and didn't have problems at all. Anyway, some DP recommended to me using a "stronger shoes" better than my "Adidas".

zgaller

Postby zgaller » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:32 pm

get yourself a nice pair of redwing boots. be prepared to have them for 10 years though.

seanbagley

Postby seanbagley » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:12 pm

Lots of the sets I've worked on there's been this discussion. And it was even brought up at the ASC Open House discussion earlier this year, I believe, Roger.

Anyway, I've got a type of shoe that I've grown fond of that I've dubbed by "set shoes", which I've actually bought quite a few different colors for some variety when I'm working weeks with the same people: Onitsuka Tiger.

Joel.Young

Postby Joel.Young » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:22 am

Bumping this!

Starting to spend a lot of time on set and I've found my shoes are absolute crap. At the end of every day my feet are in pain, so I think it's time to invest in some good work shoes/boots.

I've heard great things about Oliver and Steel Blue, but they might be quite hot for summer here. Any suggestions from other Aussies? New Balance runners maybe?

Return to “Tools”