LUTs and a couple things

Technical Camera discussions
sashamoric

LUTs and a couple things

Postby sashamoric » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:28 am

Hello Roger

One quick question do you use the same LUT for each film on the Alexa or do you make a new LUT for each project. Is there any chance you would share one of your LUTs.

Also what kind of filters do you like to use on your glass if any? Is there a basic kit you bring to each film?

Last question would you ever consider using different cameras IE Red or Sony, Panasonic. How do you feel about the idea of treating each sensor as a film stock each providing there own unique characteristics to help drive a story. I would love your thoughts on Different sensors.

Roger
Site Admin

Re: LUTs and a couple things

Postby Roger » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:56 am

Firstly, I only changed 'my' LUT a little for 'Prisoners'. Otherwise I have been using the same LUT and I only use one per film.
I do carry a set of filters but have hardly used any since shooting digitally. I did use a few when I shot film last winter though.
I would consider using any camera that I felt gave me the right 'look'. We did shoot some of 'In The Valley Of Elah' on an i phone. However, when I was shooting film I used a minimal change of stocks although I did some fancy developing a time or two. That kind of 'processing' has been replaced by the DI now but it is still important to start with the 'best' negative possible. So far I see the Alexa as giving that.

sashamoric

Postby sashamoric » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:51 pm

What software do you use to create the LUT is it the arri LUT creator?

Roger
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:30 pm

That would be E Film proprietary software.

sashamoric

Postby sashamoric » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:26 am

Would it be possible to take me through the process? So you start with a log image in the alexa lets say you didn't do any lighting it was just available day light. do you take that shot into the labs at EFILM work some magic in there grading software? (I assume its something like divinci but there own version) save that look, then apply it in camera while your shooting for reference?

In the end I would love some pointers on the process of creating a LUT from start to finish. I find it hard to wrap my head around what would be a great starting image to work on when creating a LUT. What kind of image is best to work off of that can be applied to various lighting setup later on.

Almax

Postby Almax » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Film a greyscale chip chart might be one way. Followed by X-rite colour chart and tweaking the footage in Da Vinci Resolve and exporting a LUT for your chosen camera system.

I have to say everyone seems to think that a LUT is the holy grail. I shoot on a RED Dragon and ships with stock Gamma and LUTS which do a good job but aren't very exciting.

I bet many of us could shoot on Roger's Efilm LUT ( once converted for our camera systems) an still come up with lousy results. The magic is in Rogers mind soul and experience, not in the tools!

Instead of the LUT focus why not grab a Joker 200 , an Arri 650 and or a Mole "Tweenie" and experiment with bouncing light and filming portrait tests.

Also don't forget Mitch Paulson the Colourist! He has more affect on any image than a shooting LUT.

sashamoric

Postby sashamoric » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Hello Alex thanks for the feedback. I hate shooting charts as I don't feel they reflect anything I will actual see when I am shooting a frame on a film I know they are technically perfect but for some reason they don't translate for me. I agree with you even if I had Rogers LUT it would not be the same results, but I am not trying to shoot like Roger there is so much more that goes into shooting then the LUT. But I think its great to know every aspect of the camera and one that I am not 100% familiar with is creating my own LUTs. Like you I have been shooting with the built in LUT's from the Red cameras and yes they are OK I just want to explore the possibility of creating my own LUT's I just find it fun to play. Thanks for the suggestion in shooting some simple setups with various bounces I will defiantly try that.

Alex I have a question for you is it possible to create a LUT in resolve and load it into the RED. If so how can I do that, I was speaking with my AC about this very issue yesterday and he said that to create a LUT for the Red it has to be created in Redcine X, he could be wrong he was not 100% sure about that.

Return to “Camera - Technical”