Your opinion of Half Soft Frost.

Discussions on Lighting
Jlarson

Your opinion of Half Soft Frost.

Postby Jlarson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:26 am

Hello Roger, I recently got bored and ordered a couple larger pieces of HSF. Its an interesting material, I could see why people like to use it for overhead in direct sunlight, the way it eliminates shadow lines and kind of "wraps" around things. I remember reading somewhere in here that you don't particularly like to diffuse with overhead diffusion in strait sunlight, but what are some things you like to do with HSF? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

Roger
Site Admin

Re: Your opinion of Half Soft Frost.

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:01 am

Yes, I really don't like the look of overhead diffusion as it tends to make the source of the light feel close. A very large silk, above a street for instance and a distance from the subject, can work better but It is still something I have rarely done. Otherwise I will use a HSF on a 4'x4' frame as I would any other diffusion.

Jlarson

Postby Jlarson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Thank you, and I assumed thats what you would have used it for, but Im still curious, what would lean you towards using HSF, say over 250 or 251. What, if anything, does the way the light comes off and thru HSF justify using it, in your opinion. Thanks again!

Roger
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:10 pm

I probably use 250 and 251 more often than HSF as i am more familiar with these. The way I light there is really not that much difference between the three of them.

airboxlights

Postby airboxlights » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:04 pm

The primary advantage I have found to half soft frost is that it's very efficient in terms of how much light is lost for the degree of softening you get. It softens a similar amount to opal or 251, but it doesn't cost you as much light. It's also quieter and less prone to tearing than opal, if that's a concern in the given situation. A drawback to HSF is that you can't use it clipped to the barndoors of tungsten or HMI because it'll shrivel and melt. Also notable is that it can be both welded and sewn, therefore making large rags a possibility, unlike opal or 251. I guess weldability is more my issue than most people's...
Tom Guiney
DP, gaffer, inventor of Airboxlights.com Inflatable Softboxes
SF Bay Area

Return to “"Let there be Light"”